SAN ANGELO, Tx – Vegetable Thai Red Curry
• Yield: 4 servings
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 small white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
• Pinch of salt, more to taste
• 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
• 2 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 red bell pepper, sliced
• 1 yellow, orange or green bell pepper, sliced
• 3 carrots, peeled and sliced into thick rounds (about 1 cup)
• 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
• 1 can (14 ounces) regular coconut milk
• ½ cup water
• 1 ½ cups packed thinly sliced kale (tough ribs removed first)
• 1 teaspoons brown sugar
• 1 tablespoon soy sauce
• 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
• Brown or white rice – serve the vegetable curry over top of the rice
1. To make the curry, warm a large skillet with deep sides over medium heat. Once it’s hot, add the oil. Add the onion and a sprinkle of salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds, while stirring continuously.
2. Add the bell peppers and carrots. Cook until the bell peppers are fork-tender, 3 to 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. Then add the curry paste and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the coconut milk, water, kale and sugar, and stir to combine. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat. Reduce heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the peppers, carrots and kale have softened to your liking, about 5 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove the pot from the heat and season with tamari, fresh lime juice and salt if desired.
5. Serve over brown or white rice.