This vegan chilli packs in plenty of vegetables and doesn’t fall short on the flavour front. Serve it with rice or in jacket potatoes for a filling supper
Prep: 15 Mins
Cook: 45 Mins
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into medium chunks
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery sticks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tsp chilli powder (depending on how hot you like it)
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 400g can black beans, drained
- 400g can kidney beans, drained
- lime wedges, guacamole, coriander and rice to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Put the sweet potato chunks in a roasting tin and drizzle over 1½ tbsp oil, 1 tsp smoked paprika and 1 tsp ground cumin. Give everything a good mix so that all the chunks are coated in spices, season with salt and pepper then roast for 25 mins until cooked.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until soft then crush in the garlic and cook for 1 min more. Add the remaining dried spices and tomato puree. Give everything a good mix and cook for 1 min more.
- Add the red pepper, chopped tomatoes and 200ml of water. Bring the chilli to a boil then simmer for 20 mins. Tip in the beans and cook for another 10 mins before adding the sweet potato. Season to taste then serve with lime wedges, guac, rice and coriander. Make ahead and freeze for up to 3 months.To make this in a slow cooker:
Heat the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery. Cook for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until soft then crush in the garlic, tip in the sweet potato chunks and cook for 1 min more. Add all the dried spices, oregano and tomato puree, cook for a minute then tip the whole lot into a slow cooker.
Add the red pepper and chopped tomatoes. Give everything a good stir then cook on low for 5 hrs. Stir in the beans and cook for another 30 mins to 1 hr. Season to taste and serve with lime wedges, guac, rice and coriander.