*300g dried rice vermicelli, soaked and drained
*400ml Vegetable Stock
*200ml coconut milk
*3 slices of greater galangal (about 3mm)
*1 lemongrass stalk, peeled and sliced
*2 small red chillies, sliced
*4 coriander roots (or use fresh coriander stalks), roughly chopped~
*100g oyster mushrooms, halved
*120g extra-firm tofu, cut into large chunks
*1 generous tablespoon vegetarian roasted chilli paste (or use vegetarian mushroom chilli paste)
*3 tablespoons lime juice
*2 tablespoons light soy sauce
*1 teaspoon sugar
*½ teaspoon sea salt flakes
*3 cherry tomatoes, halved
*handful of fresh coriander leaves, plus extra to garnish
1. Half-fill a medium saucepan with water and bring to the boil.
2. In another medium saucepan, bring the stock and coconut milk to the boil. Once the mixture is bubbling away, add the galangal, lemongrass, chillies and coriander roots or stalks and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until the flavours come through and the soup has turned a slightly yellow colour.
3. Now add the oyster mushrooms, tofu, chilli paste, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar and salt. Cook for a further minute, then add the tomatoes and coriander leaves. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for a further minute, until the tomatoes have softened.
4. Cook the noodles in the boiling water for 20 seconds, then drain.
5. Divide the noodles between 2 bowls, then pour over the soup. Garnish with the coriander leaves and serve immediately.