This speedy, elegant supper utilizes a larger cut of salmon, which is both easier to cook and delivers a more impressive presentation. A mandoline makes quick work of thinly slicing the vegetables for the light, crunchy salad topping. To keep the dish on the affordable side, consider using coho salmon—it’s more manageable in size and cost than king salmon.
- Small Skillet
- Small Bowl
- Parchment Paper
- Baking Sheet
- Medium Bowl
- Broad Spatulas
- Serving Platter
Serves : 4
Time : 35 Minutes
- ⅓ cup pecans (1 oz.), chopped
- 1 lb. skin-on wild salmon fillet (such as coho), bones removed
- Kosher salt
- 1⅓ cups thinly sliced fennel (from 1 medium bulb), fronds reserved
- Packed ¼ cup very thinly sliced red onion (1 oz.)
- 1 medium inner stalk celery, stalk thinly sliced on the diagonal and leaves chopped
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. plus 1 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, with a rack in the top third. Meanwhile, toast the pecans: In a small, dry skillet, add the nuts. Cook over medium-high heat, tossing or stirring occasionally, until lightly browned in places and nutty-smelling (avoid burning), about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Transfer the salmon, skin-side down, to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Season the skinless side lightly with salt and rub gently to coat. Roast until the outside appears fully cooked and the inside is cooked to medium doneness (it should be just heated through and no longer raw-looking in the center but still juicy and soft), about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, add the fennel, onion, and celery.
- Remove the salmon from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Using two broad spatulas, carefully transfer the salmon to a serving platter.
- Add the lemon juice, oil, and a generous pinch each of salt and pepper to the bowl with the fennel mixture; toss well. Add the pecans and toss to incorporate. Scatter the salad crosswise across the center of the salmon, top with some of the reserved fennel fronds, and serve immediately.