450g beef fillet, sliced into strips
groundnut oil for deep-frying, plus 1 tbsp
a thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 carrot, cut into thick matchsticks
½ onion, cut into strips
3 tbsp light soy sauce
4 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tbsp honey
2 spring onions, finely sliced
3 tsp dried chilli flakes
½ tbsp sesame oil
1 green chilli, sliced, to serve
1. Tip the cornflour into a large bowl and beat the eggs in another. Add the beef strips to the eggs and mix thoroughly, then transfer to the cornflour, coating each piece and shaking off any excess.
2. Heat enough oil to deep-fry the beef in a wok to 180°C.
3. Carefully drop the beef slices into the oil in batches and fry for 2-3 minutes, until crispy. Remove and drain on a wire rack or a plate lined with kitchen paper.
4. Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick wok, add the ginger and garlic and fry for 20 seconds. Add the carrot and onion and continue to fry for a further minute. Now add the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, honey, spring onions and chilli flakes and bring to a boil.
5. Add the crispy beef and stir to coat evenly. Take off the heat, stir in the sesame oil and serve straightaway with the green chilli scattered on top.