This lighter version of classic mac and cheese looks and tastes downright elegant.
- 4 slices natural turkey bacon, uncured and without nitrates
- Olive oil spray
- 12 ounces whole wheat macaroni
- 4 ounces (1 heaping cup) shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup plus 1 heaping tablespoon 2 percent Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Sliced fresh chives or fresh parsley, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes to garnish
Instructions: Set a nonstick skillet over medium heat and add the bacon. Spray it lightly with olive oil as it cooks so that it gets crispy. Cool and crumble into pieces.
Cook the macaroni in a pot according to the instructions on the package. Drain the macaroni, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking water.
Add the macaroni and cooking water back to the pot, then slowly fold in the mozzarella and goat cheeses. Continuously mix and fold in the pasta until the cheese has melted. Add the yogurt and cumin, and fold everything together. Add the bacon crumbles to the macaroni and mix. Season to taste with sea salt and pepper, garnish, and serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings
Per serving: 361 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 67 mg cholesterol, 356 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrates, 5 g dietary fiber, 1 g sugar, 21 g protein