Joanna Crumley of Hubbard has beat out thousands of other entrants to win the Sweet Simple Desserts category of the 49th annual Pillsbury Bake-Off.
Her recipe for the winning Reese’s Piece ‘O’ Bliss Fudge, made with the much-beloved combination of peanut butter, chocolate and the moreish crunch of Reese’s Pieces, was inspired by her grandmother’s fudge recipe.
Crumley’s win means that she will be featured in an upcoming issue of Food Network magazine and receive a suite of GE Appliances and $5,000 in cash. On Saturday Feb. 23, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. PST, Crumley will appear on a taped segment of Food Network’s The Kitchen and local viewers will learn whether or not her recipe is sweet enough to beat out the three other finalists and win the grand prize of $50,000.
REESE’s Piece ‘O’ Bliss Fudge
- Active Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 155 minutes
- Servings: 16
- Equipment: 8-inch x 8-inch glass baking dish
- Pillsbury Ready to Bake! REESE’S Mini Pieces Cookies, 12 count
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup plus 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3 1/4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 REESE’S Stuffed with Pieces Candy Bars, 1.5 ounces each
- Recipe Steps
Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place 8 REESE’s Mini Pieces cookie dough rounds evenly on bottom of
- ungreased 8-inch square glass pan in 4 rows of 2, offset like a
- checkerboard pattern. Cut last 4 cookie dough rounds in half and
- press up against the sides of the pan in the spaces between the other
- cookie dough rounds, 2 on each side of the pan. Bake for 22 to 25
- minutes, until just starting to brown around the edges. Cool 10 minutes
- on a cooling rack.
- To make the fudge layer, cut butter into 8 slices and place in a deep
- microwave safe bowl, cover lightly and microwave on high for 30
- seconds. Add brown sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and milk and
- whisk lightly just to combine. Microwave an additional 30 to 90
- seconds until mixture comes to a boil. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Pour fudge mixture over baked cookie layer and spread evenly. Cut
- each REESE’s Stuffed with Pieces candy cup into 8 wedges like a pie.
- Sprinkle candy wedges evenly over fudge. Cool 10 more minutes.
- Place in refrigerator and cool until fudge layer is set, approximately 1
- 1/2 hours. For quicker set, place in freezer for 20 minutes, then move to
- refrigerator for 40 minutes. Cut into 16 squares and serve.