This is one of the recipes you’ll want to bookmark for those freezing cold winter days when you need a filling meal to warm up.
In fact, my husband asked me to make sure we had all ingredients on hand for the next time we have a snow storm in the forecast.
This one-pot dish is so easy to make. What’s more, you probably have many of the ingredients in your kitchen already.
Kielbasa and Pasta in Creamy Tomato Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Italian sausage
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 10 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces of dry pasta … I use Italian Trottole, which is basically a spiral macaroni noodle. It’s perfect for this creamy sauce.
- 1/2 cup milk or heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese … I actually have used a Mexican blend because that’s all I had on hand.
Slice your sausage and dice your onion. Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium high heat and cook the sausage and onions. The onions should be translucent and the sausage fully cooked (or browned, if you’re using pre-cooked kielbasa). Then add in the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds or so.
Then, with the meat and onions still in the pan, add the broth, tomatoes, cream (or milk), pasta and seasonings. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes – or until the pasta is cooked.
As the pasta begins to cook, it is going to look really soupy, but the pasta will quickly start soaking up the sauce.
Once the pasta is cooked, remove the pan from the burner and add the shredded cheese. Stir until it is all mixed in.
Serve! I served this for dinner for my family four (light eaters) and had enough for lunch for both my husband and me.