Coleslaw can be a delicious way to fill your plate with fresh vegetables. Cabbage, carrots, celery and fresh herbs make a colorful mix; when augmented with vinaigrette, dried cranberries and salted pepitas, the dish becomes a scrumptious sweet-tart blend.
Poppy seeds play an important role in the dressing, offering appealing nuttiness. Properly stored in an airtight container, poppy seed will generally stay at best quality for 3 to 4 years.
For optimum flavor and texture, allow the slaw to chill at least one hour before serving.
Tart and Sweet Coleslaw
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (about 1/2 small head of green cabbage)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1 cup shredded or grated carrot
- 2 sprigs fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 generous tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries (or a mix of dried cranberries and golden raisins)
- 1/3 cup roasted and salted pepitas (shelled pumpkin seeds)
1. In a large bowl, combine cabbage, celery, carrot, dill and basil; toss. Season with salt and toss.
2. In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise, vinegar, poppy seeds and pepper; stir vigorously to combine. Add to cabbage mixture and toss. Add cranberries and pepitas. Toss. Chill for at least one hour or up to 24 hours before serving.