Homemade sweets and confectionary are a highlight on The Table Bay’s High Tea menu thanks to the creative hands of the hotel’s Head Pastry Chef, Lee-Andra Govender.
Skip the store-bought sweets and get creative in the kitchen and make your own homemade candy for your loved one.
Home-made toffee apples:Ingredients
- 6 green snack apples
- 1 gelatin leaf
- 50ml fresh cream
- 50ml milk
- 30g glucose
- 100g white chocolate pieces
- 5g red food colouring
- 6 skewers
1. Pierce a skewer through the middle of each apple and place the apples in the fridge to get very cold
2. Bloom the gelatin in a small bowl of ice cold water for 10 to 15 minutes. The gelatin will soften but the cold water will stop it from dissolving.
3. In a small saucepan, bring the milk, cream and glucose to simmer.
4. Remove the saucepan and immediately add the white chocolate pieces. Use a hand blender and mix together for two minutes until the chocolate has melted.
5. Fish the softened gelatin from the bowl with your hand, allowing excess water to drain before adding the gelatin to the chocolate and cream mixture.
Use a hand blender to mix together for two minutes or until the gelatin has melted.