Both these delicious fruit-filled bars are easy to make, and both require a similar method. The lemon and coconut squares are zingy with a super-creamy lemon layer topped off with fluffy coconut. The rhubarb bars are just sweet enough for the tart rhubarb and such a lovely colour too. The fabulous thing about the rhubarb bars is that they work really well with fresh or frozen rhubarb. They are particularly pretty with pink forced rhubarb — available this time of year.
- 30gr caster sugar
- 180gr cream flour
- 60gr icing sugar
- 40gr blanched almonds — toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 175gr cold butter diced
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 300gr sugar
- 50gr desiccated coconut
- 60ml lemon juice
- 30gr cream flour
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Line a square tin 9×9 inches with parchment paper, allowing two ends to go over the sides to help remove the bars from the tin once cooked.
- In a food processor, combine the flour, icing sugar, almond and lemon zest, then process until nuts are finely chopped.
- Add butter; pulse just until mixture is crumbly.
- Press into the prepared baking pan.
- Bake at 350C for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, coconut, lemon juice, flour, lemon zest and baking powder, pour over the hot crust.
- Bake until light golden brown and set, 20-25 minutes.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Cut into squares.
Rhubarb & Macadamia Bars
- Line a square tin 9×9 inches with parchment paper allowing two ends to go over the sides to help remove the bars from the tin once cooked.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C.
- 9 Portions
- 150gr cream flour
- 40gr icing sugar
- 115gr cold butter diced
- 200gr sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 2 cups diced rhubarb
- 80gr Macadamia nuts roughly chopped
- Bake the macadamia in the oven until golden brown 8 to 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl combine 100gr flour and the icing sugar.
- Cut in butter until crumbly. (Or do this on pulse in a food processor). Stop once the butter is combined but the mix is still crumbly.
- Press evenly into the prepared tin, bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and remaining flour.
- Add eggs, and then mix in the rhubarb, and macadamia.
- Pour over the baked base. Bake 30-35 minutes longer or until set. Cool in the tin on a wire rack. Lift out carefully when cold and cut into bars.