- 6 ounces dried Mission figs (about 22), stems removed
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla extract
- Place figs, sugar, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer until the liquid has thickened slightly and has turned a rosy, golden shade, 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat. Stir in vanilla bean paste (or extract) and cool the mixture for 10 minutes. Transfer to a food processor and process until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container (like a mason jar) in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
This amount is perfect for sharing: one small jar for yourself, and one for a friend. Feel free to half, if desired.