- 1 pound flank steak or sirloin steak, sliced thinly against the grain
- 2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup fresh Thai or Italian basil leaves, packed
- Steamed rice, for serving
- Toss the sliced beef with 2 teaspoons oil and 2 teaspoons cornstarch. Heat your wok over high heat, and add 2 tablespoons of oil. Sear the beef until just browned (but still a little rare), remove from the wok, and set aside.
- Add the garlic, red bell pepper, and onions to the wok and stir-fry until tender. Toss the beef back in, along with the soy sauce, fish sauce (if using), and sugar. Stir-fry for another few seconds, and then fold in the basil until it’s just wilted. Serve with steamed rice.