Chef Tim Griffin from Kona Grill made Chocolate Butter Cake. (see recipe below) Kona Grill is located at 1914 Galleria Blvd. in the Cool Springs area of Franklin, TN 37067. For more information, visit www.konagrill.com or call (615) 606-3310.
Chocolate Butter Cake / Kona Grill
2 ½ c All Purpose Flour
½ c Cocoa Powder
1 t Baking Powder
½ t Baking Soda
¾ t Kosher Salt
1 c Butter, Softened
1 ½ c Granulated Sugar
½ c Brown Sugar
2 T Vanilla Extract
1 c Chocolate Chips
Additional Tools Needed:
Stand mixer with a paddle attachment
8 to 10 oz. soufflé cups, oven safe
PROCEDURES: *Makes 8 cakes
1. Preheat and oven to 350 °F. Line soufflé cups with butter.
2. Mix the flour, coco powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt together with a
whisk. Set aside.
3. In the stand mixer bowl, add the butter, sour cream, sugar and the brown sugar.
Cream the ingredients together on speed 2 to 4 for about 5 minutes or until light and
fluffy. With a rubber spatula scrape down the sides as needed.
4. With the mixer running, slowly add the eggs one at a time until fully incorporated.
Next add the vanilla extract.
5. Reduce speed to low and add about half the flour and stir for two minutes, then
add the other half of the flour. Scrape the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Fill each soufflé cup halfway with batter then place on a sheet pan and transfer to
the 350°F oven.
7. Bake for 30 minutes or until you can insert a toothpick into the middle of the cake
and it comes out clean.
8. Remove the cakes from the oven and after five minutes carefully remove the cakes
from the soufflé cups.
9. Serve with caramel, whipped cream and almond praline.