This easy chicken pot pie casserole recipe is pure keto comfort food that’s great for a cold day or an empty stomach and won’t leave you feeling guilty (at least when it comes to carbs). The recipe comes from Dam Dillard’s “Keto Comfort Foods: 100 Keto-Friendly Recipes for your Comfort Food Favorites,” which has all kinds of tasty recipes that will fit into a keto diet. Best made in a round baking dish, this casserole will feel just like home.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thigh
- 8 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- ¼ medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- ½ large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cups chopped cauliflower florets
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon finely ground pink Himalayan salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1½ cups finely ground blanched almond flour
- 1 large egg yolk, whisked for egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt coconut oil. Cook chicken until no pink remains and internal temperature is at least 165°F, about 7 minutes per side. # Place on a cutting board to cool for about 5 minutes, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add onion and sauté 3 minutes or until soft and fragrant. Pour in chicken broth and add carrot, celery, cauliflower, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Bring the pot to a boil over high heat for 1 minute, then reduce to a simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes until vegetables soften. Sprinkle xanthan gum in the pot, whisking quickly, then pour in heavy cream. Whisk in cream cheese. Add in the cooked chicken.
- Turn the heat to low and let the mixture thicken for 10 minutes until thick and creamy.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, add mozzarella, remaining butter, and almond flour. Microwave for 45 seconds, then stir. Microwave for an additional 10 seconds, then stir until a soft ball forms.
- Place the dough between two pieces of parchment paper on a flat surface and roll into a 9-inch round.
- Pour the chicken mixture into a round 9-inch pie dish. Place the dough on top of the dish, pressing the edges into the pie dish. Cut four slits into the dough and brush entire crust with egg yolk.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until dough is browned. Let cool for 10 minutes. Spoon into bowls and serve warm.