Two simple pantry items—oil-packed tuna and rice—form the backbone of this healthy and versatile salad. Stir in briny chopped olives, sweet sun-dried tomatoes, and tart vinegar and serve this salad over a bed of salad greens, stuffed into a pita, or rolled up in lavash for an easy lunch or picnic dish.
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 1/4 cups water, plus more as needed
- 14 ounces high-quality oil-packed tuna, drained and flaked
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pitted green olives
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the rice in a fine-mesh strainer and rinse under cold water until the water runs clear.
- Place the rice and measured water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover with a tightfitting lid and reduce the heat to low. Simmer undisturbed until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and let sit covered to steam, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining measured ingredients, season with salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Serve warm, at room temperature, or chilled. Refrigerate in a container with a tightfitting lid for up to 3 days.