These rolled treats nestle perfectly in a large square kraft box making them a perfect homemade Christmas food gift.
All-purpose flour, for work surface
- Whisk together sugar, yeast, cinnamon, ginger, salt, cloves, and 1 3/4 cups flour in a bowl. Combine milk and butter in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat until the butter has melted and mixture reads between 105°F and 110°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- Add milk mixture, egg, and molasses to flour mixture. Beat with a dough hookattached to a stand mixer, on low speed, until moistened. Continue beating, gradually adding remaining 1 3/4 cups flour, until smooth and pliable, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough to a lightly buttered mixing bowl; cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Set bowl in a warm place and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves in a bowl.
- Butter a 9- by 13-inch or 8- by 8-inch baking dish. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 12- by 16-inch rectangle. Spread with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Starting from the long side, roll up into a log. Cut into 12 (if using a 9- by 13-inch baking dish) or 9 (if using an 8- by 8-inch baking dish) pieces and place, cut sides up, in prepared dish. Cover with a towel and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour. Preheat oven to 375°F. Bake until cooked through and lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese, vanilla, and 1 cup confectioners sugar in a bowl. Whisk together molasses, water, and remaining 1/3 cup confectioners sugar in a separate bowl. Spread cream cheese mixture on warm rolls, then drizzle with molasses glaze.