What makes your Christmas Eve special, is a dessert that’s baked to perfection. German Stollen Bread is a classic yet soft buttery cake made with various nuts. The base flavour it carries is of rum, marzipan and cinnamon which in all is an exotic combination to have. People usually misunderstand this German specialty as a fruit cake, however, it is completely a different dessert. Feel its dense and soft texture as soon as you take its bite.
The irresistible sweet aroma of this bread recipe will make you crave for more. You will be surprised to know that the baking process takes just 30 minutes, however, it takes from weeks to months to ferment the nuts and raisins in rum. The more you will ferment the nuts, the tastier your bread will be! You could serve this recipe not only on the Christmas Eve but also on kitty parties, family get-together or so. Also, if you are going on road-trips or picnics, you could carry this easily. Happy baking!
- 500 gm all purpose flour
- 10 gm dry yeast
- 25 gm soaked cranberries
- 25 gm mixed dry fruits
- 50 gm sugar
- 5 gm ground cinnamon
- 200 gm butter
- 1 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 200 ml boiling water
- 25 gm soaked raisins
- 25 gm lemon peel
- 30 ml black rum
- 10 gm salt
- 2 egg
- 150 gm marzipan
How to make German Stollen Bread
- Step 1Take a mixing bowl and soak mixed dry fruits, citrus peel, cranberries, raisins in dark rum and ground cinnamon for a month or 2 weeks at least. This will deeply infuse the the flavours of rum and cinnamon in the nuts, giving them a refreshing texture.
- Step 2Next, take a medium sized bowl and sugar into it. Then, add 150 grams butter out of the total mentioned quantity. Take care of the quantities and beat the mixture softly. After beating up the mixture for a while add eggs into it. Now beat the mixture well until smooth.
- Step 3Now, take water in a cup and heat it in oven for about 30 seconds until lukewarm. Then, add the mentioned quantity of yeast into it.
- Step 4To start with the preparation of dough, first, take a large sized bowl and add the yeast-water mix into it. Next add flour and salt. Also, add the rum soaked nuts and sugar-butter mix into it. After adding all the mentioned ingredients mix well and keep the dough aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Step 5After the dough has fermented well, take out small portions from it. Add marzipan in each portion and seal it.Now, roll and merge the small portions all together and create a bread loaf out of it. Keep this bread loaf dough aside for next 30 minutes so that the flavour of marzipan is infused in the dough completely.
- Step 6Now, preheat the OTG at 175° and then place the bread loaf into it. Bake it for 25 minutes.
- Step 7Once you are done with baking, let the bread cool down. Then, brush it with the remaining butter and sprinkle powdered sugar upon it. Next, slice the bread equally and serve.