Caramelized onions add a sweet and savory note to anything they top.
Try them over grilled chicken, with cheese on your next pizza, or in our Black Forest Ham and Caramelized Onion Grilled Cheese.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved and sliced paper thin (about 4 cups)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan over medium-low heat until foaming.
- Add the onions, and let them cook, stirring rarely, until they are deep golden brown and caramelized, about 45 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper, remove from the pan, and let cool.