- 4 medium beets, scrubbed and cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- 2 3/4 cups canned cannellini beans, drained
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 14 ounces whole wheat linguine
- feta, crumbled, to serve
- few dill sprigs, roughly chopped, to serve
- toasted walnuts, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit. Place the beet wedges and garlic in a roasting tray and drizzle with the oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle over the thyme leaves. Roast for 30–40 minutes, until tender and beginning to caramelize.
- Remove from the oven, and trim any tough, darker bits off the beetroot. Put in a food processor or, if using a stick blender, a deep jug. Squeeze the garlic from their skins and add to the beetroot.
- Tip in the cannellini beans, vinegar, crème fraîche and 7 tablespoons water and blitz until you have a smooth paste–add more water if it seems very thick.
- Cook the linguine according to the package instructions and drain. Return to the still-warm pan and stir through the beet sauce. Serve topped with a little crumbled feta, some dill, and toasted walnuts for crunch.