Don’t believe a sweet treat featuring slop could be delicious? Think of the secret ingredient as oatmeal instead and you’ll understand just how good these chewy peanut butter chocolate chip cookies (featuring a hefty dose of butter, of course) really are. Use the cookies to make Big Brother Ice Cream Sandwiches and they’re off the charts —and a perfect snack to go with the Big Brother Season 19 premiere on June 28.
For the peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups slop, or 1 1/2 cups cooked oatmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup peanut butter
- 2 large eggs
- 12 ounce bag semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- fleur de sel, for sprinkling (optional)
For the ice cream sandwiches:
- peanut butter-chocolate chip cookies
- vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- mini chocolate chips
To make the cookies:
- In a large bowl, mix the peanut butter and slop (or cooked oatmeal) until fully incorporated.
- Add the flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, and stir well until everything is incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, with an electric mixer, beat the butter until light and fluffy.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until combined and then whisk in vanilla.
- Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients until fully incorporated, then stir in the creamed butter until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips and grated chocolate, and stir just until combined. Chill the cookie dough, covered, at least 2 hours and up to 1 week.
- When dough is chilled, preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Form rounded tablespoons of dough into balls and arrange about 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten balls slightly. Sprinkle each with a pinch of fleur de sel.
- Bake cookies in batches in the middle of the oven about 15 minutes, or just until pale golden. Cool cookies on baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to racks to cool completely.
To make the ice cream sandwiches:
- Chill the cookies in the freezer for one hour.
- Sandwich a generous scoop of slightly softened vanilla ice cream between two chilled cookies. Roll the edges in the mini chocolate chips to coat the outside of the ice cream.