The tartness of the Bramley apple and blackberry tart in the gluten-free recipe here cuts through the sweetness of the pastry.
Six to eight
For the pastry (or use 1 x 280g roll shop-bought gluten-free shortcrust pastry)
- 300g gluten-free plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 135g cold butter, diced
- 1 large egg
For the filling
- 3-4 Bramley apples, peeled, cored and roughly sliced about ½cm thick (about 800g)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Zest of ½ lemon
- 200g blackberries
- Milk, for brushing
- Caster sugar, for dusting
- Double cream, to serve
- If using shop-bought pastry, lightly flour a work surface and unroll the pastry sheet. Roll it just a little bit thinner and cut into two pieces large enough to line a 23cm pie dish comfortably.
- If you are making your pastry from scratch, sift the flour with the sugar and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub it into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Whisk the egg with enough cold water to obtain 100ml of liquid. Gradually add the mixture to the bowl, mixing quickly to combine. The dough should be quite soft (gluten-free flour absorbs more liquid as it rests than normal flour). Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/180C fan/Gas 6 and put a baking tray in to heat up.
- Halve the chilled dough and roll out each half on a floured surface to 3mm thick. Use one sheet of pastry to line a 23cm pie dish, making sure the pastry overhangs a little.
- Place the apples in a bowl with the sugar, cinnamon and lemon zest, and mix well. Tip into the dish and add the blackberries, so you have a rounded mound of fruit.
- Lay the other sheet of pastry over the top, trim the edges and use a little water to seal them together, crimping as you go.
- Make four or five slits in the pastry lid to allow steam to escape, and brush the pie with milk. This will give it a nice coloured crust when it has baked.
- Place the pie on the preheated baking tray and bake for 10 minutes then lower the oven to 170C/150C fan/Gas 3½.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the pastry is golden brown and nicely cooked. If any blackberries bleed into the sides, it doesn’t matter.
- Sprinkle with a little caster sugar and serve with double cream.