There are those days (or nights) when only a piping hot bowl of soup will do! When that mood strikes, try this Black Bean Soup With Charred Poblano Pepper from our Wellness Executive Chef Jim Perko, CEC, ACC.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup onion – small dice
- 2 teaspoon fresh garlic – minced
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups water & 1 tablespoon natural vegetable base (or 2 cups vegetable stock)
- 15-ounce can black beans – drained and rinsed
- ⅓ cup poblano pepper – charred, peeled, seeded & chopped (approximately 1 poblano pepper)
- In a large pot, on medium heat, add oil and sauté onion until transparent. Add garlic and sauté two minutes.
- Add tomato paste and sauté two minutes to caramelize tomatoes, add remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer, turn off heat, then remove from stove and puree with vertical immersion blender until fully blended.
- Serve or allow to cool, cover, label, date and refrigerate.
Nutritional information (per serving)
Makes 5 servings. Serving size: ¾ cup.
- Calories: 130
- Sodium: 360 mg
- Sugars: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 5 g
- Carbohydrate: 19 g