Ah, soup. Beloved for its satisfying simplicity and yet, for followers of FODMAP, one of the trickier foodstuffs to safely source from supermarkets and restaurants.
“Why?” some of you are probably thinking. Soups are inherently pretty healthy, right? After all, they are light and often contain lots of vegetables, particularly in the base stock. But therein lies the problem for many.
Those with IBS and some other gastrointestinal disorders can struggle to tolerate carbohydrates in certain foods, and among the worst of the culprits is onion, which is traditionally the backbone of a good broth.
Onion is not essential though, and you likely won’t even notice its absence in some creative variations on traditional soup recipes (such as the one below).
Drawing an intense flavour combination from ginger, cumin and tumeric, this recipe for low FODMAP carrot soup serves up winter comfort by the ladle, without compromising on the taste. Enjoy!
Low FODMAP roasted carrot and ginger soup
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 4 medium carrots, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- A pinch of sea salt
- Thumb-sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 800ml veg stock (wheat-free/gluten-free/onion-free)
- Light olive oil
- Coconut yogurt, optional
- Fresh coriander, optional
- Preheat oven to 200C (fan)
- Place the chopped carrots in a roasting tray, drizzle lightly with olive oil and add cumin seeds, turmeric, and salt, stir to coat carrots evenly. Roast for 20 minutes until softened.
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat a little oil and add the ginger, followed by the roasted carrots and stock. Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the carrots are very tender.
- Allow to cool and blend with stick blender. Add a dash of water if it’s too thick for your liking.
- Return to heat to warm through and season to taste.
- Serve with a swirl of coconut yogurt and a sprinkle of coriander if desired
Looking for relief
This series of Telegraph articles, brought to you by Imodium®, is about taking control of your digestive health so that you can continue eating and enjoying the food you love.
Imodium® Instant orodispersible tablets work in harmony with your body to help restore your body’s natural rhythm after diarrhoea.
Imodium® Instants contain Loperamide Hydrochloride for acute diarrhoea and medically diagnosed IBS diarrhoea. Always read the label.
For more information about how Imodium can help provide fast and effective diarrhoea relief within one hour, ask your chemist or visit tgr.ph/imodium.